Position: Senior Financial Inclusion and Payments Specialist
Location: Orpington, Greater London
Starting Salary: £50,000 to £55,000 per annum, plus benefits
SUMMARY OF JOB
Do you work in financial inclusion, payment solutions and strategy? Want to make a difference to the lives of others? Join us in delivering this rapidly expanding portfolio!
Development Pathways is an international advisory specialising in the provision of advisory services related to social protection, financial inclusion, payment systems, digital financial services, socio-economic analysis and data analysis, gender and women’s empowerment, programme management and monitoring and evaluation.
The lack of access to financial services is recognised as a significant barrier to many important services that contribute to development, social protection and social inclusion. At the same time, the global move towards innovative Fintech solutions, e-payments and the use of technology to solve increasingly difficult social and humanitarian challenges is seen as a vital component in the development agenda of the future. The FIPS team works with clients to scope, research, design, implement and evaluate innovative e-payment solutions aimed at financially including those at the bottom of the pyramid. Whilst the focus of the team has, in the most part to date been on e-payments for Social Cash Transfers (SCTs) and other Government-to-Person (G2P) payments, market strategies, procurement support and market research, landscaping and feasibility studies, there is considerable scope to extend the technical focus of the team into other emerging technical themes. These include Digital Financial Services Plus (DFS+), strategic interventions to support the development of the DFS ecosystem in developing countries by solving so-called “first, middle and last mile issues”, e-payment solutions designed to meet the needs of the most vulnerable and often marginalised people, including refugees and those requiring the rapid mobilization of resources in a humanitarian crisis.
The Senior Financial Inclusion and Payments Specialist will play a leading role in the growth of Development Pathways by strengthening our reputation as technical specialists, thought leaders and trusted partners in the field of G2P payments, DFS+ and inclusive financial services. The Senior Financial Inclusion and Payments Specialist will work closely with the Head of Unit to build FIPS. Particular focus will be placed on expanding the service offering, engaging with critical partners, managing large scale projects and mentoring and supporting the technical and professional growth of junior team members.
- Oversee and participate in the technical delivery of projects.
- Actively participate in the FIPS technical team and help to build a cadre of highly competent and trusted financial inclusion and payment solutions consultants.
- Build the reputation of Pathways as a research organisation and undertake research on payments, financial inclusion, DFS+, payment system law and regulation and other emerging areas of interest such as consumer protection and the human rights-based approach to social protection and the provision of payment services.
- Publish papers that provide innovative, cutting-edge insights. This includes producing regular contributions to “Pathways’ Perspectives,” Development Pathways own publication series, as well as working papers.
- Build relations with a wide range of stakeholders (i.e. governments, development agencies, consultancy firms, civil society organisations, etc.) to strengthen Development Pathways’ international reputation, influence development policy, and identify opportunities for further business. This will include representing Development Pathways in international fora.
- Support business development by contributing to high-quality website content. This is likely to include producing and identifying inputs for the website, such as blogs, news stories, sourcing key resources etc.
- Support the design of training programmes on social protection, financial inclusion, payment systems, operations and implementation and deliver training on specific topics.
- Mentor and manage junior technical staff.
- Continually build self-knowledge and awareness of current trends in e-payments, financial inclusion, DFS+, strategy, partner management and engagement. This will include attending relevant training courses, staying up-to-date with the literature, and feeding knowledge back into the company.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
The Senior Financial Inclusion and Payment Specialist must have the following qualifications, skills and competencies:
Essential qualifications and skills
- At least a Masters’ degree in a relevant subject;
- At least ten years’ experience with a focus on market interventions, financial inclusion, e-payments, and regulation and development partner engagement;
- A commitment to transformative social policy, innovation and evidence-based policy and programming;
- A deep understanding of development, economic empowerment, Mirco-enterprise, human rights-based approach to social protection, G2P payments and financial inclusion;
- A commitment to bringing about progressive change;
- Excellent demonstrable writing and communication skills in English; an additional language would be advantageous;
- The ability to work independently and be confident to take initiatives, but also to be an effective and collaborative team member.
- A deep understanding of international development, G2P payments, economic empowerment, micro-enterprise, payment system law and the human rights based approach to social protection and delivery of payment services;
- An additional language would be advantageous.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT AND BENEFITS
Salary will be assessed during the selection process, to reflect the level of experience and qualification. The successful candidate would receive an attractive package including:
- Entry into the company pension scheme;
- There are flexible working practices;
- 30 days holiday in a year (excluding public/bank holidays);
- Group life assurance; and,
- Company laptop;
- Upon satisfactory completion of the probationary period of 6 months, access into the company private health insurance scheme.
Equality and diversity are at the core of Development Pathways’ values. In the selection of our staff, we are committed to gender balance and diversity without distinction as to race, sex or religion, and are inclusive of persons with disabilities: well-qualified candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Our staff are expected to work collectively and individually to promote a constructive and sensitive approach to others from a variety of backgrounds, where the work of others is valued and respected.
HOW TO APPLY
We invite interested candidates, who meet the requirements, to email their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must include:
- A cover letter of up to 2 pages explaining why you are applying for this position, and how your experience and skills meet the requirements of this position;
- A Curriculum Vitae specifying your qualifications, education and relevant work experience;
- At least one sample of previous written work (for example, a research report, policy paper or strategy).
If successful, we will expect the names, email addresses and day-time contact numbers of two referees, one of them being your current line manager/supervisor (please do not send this information with your application).
Please also note that this position is only open to those who have the right to reside and work in the UK, so we will expect relevant proof of such if asked for an interview (please do not send this information with your application).
Closing date for this post: 29th February 2020.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and a successful candidate may be selected prior to the closing date. Candidates are encouraged to submit their application as soon as possible.
Shortlisted candidates will undertake an initial telephone interview and then invited to undertake an assessment of their skills and participate in an interview.
Due to the high number of applications expected, unfortunately, only successful candidates will be contacted.
Privacy notice for applicants can be found on the website.