This week, Socialprotection.org launched a virtual conference titled: Turning the COVID-19 crisis into an opportunity: what is next for social protection? The event will take place on 5, 6 and 8 October 2020, with side events to be held on 7 October 2020.
The event has been developed as a virtual live space for learning, interaction, collaboration and knowledge-sharing on social protection. Throughout the conference, participants will be discussing how the COVID-19 crisis can be turned into an opportunity to build stronger, more efficient policies. The event will host a number of clinics and round table events over the next few days.
Dr Stephen Kidd – a senior social policy specialist at Development Pathways – is scheduled to speak in a round table event on 6 October. The event – hosted by UNICEF – is titled “Universal child benefits: Pathways to universality” and builds on panellists’ wealth of country experience. Participants will look in detail at the pathways that countries can take to increase social protection coverage for children and their families, along with the practicalities of implementing universal child benefits both in the context of COVID and its aftermath.
The panel will be moderated by David Stewart, Chief of Child Poverty and Social Protection at UNICEF. Panellists for the event include:
- Dr Stephen Kidd – Senior Social Policy Specialist, at Development Pathways
- Daniel Arroyo – Minister of Social Development, Argentina
- Dr Yuba Raj Khatiwada – Special Economic Advisor to the Prime Minister and former Minister of Finance, Nepal
- Francesca Bastagli – Director of Programme, Equity and Social Policy, Principal Research Fellow at the Overseas Development Institute
- Professor Olli Kangas – Director of Equal Society research programme at the Academy of Finland and Professor at the Department of Social Research, University of Turku
Development Pathways will also be hosting a virtual booth throughout the conference, in which we will be showcasing our publications, blogs and other media outputs. Social Policy Specialist, Anh Tran, will be available for an hour, for the “meet the expert” session on Tuesday October 6 at 1pm BST. Tran will be available in the virtual booth to discuss any queries or questions that participants may have about Development Pathways’ work.
- Visit the Development Pathways booth here.
- Further information on Kidd’s round table event can be found here.
- To sign up to the conference, visit http://socialprotection.org/whatsnextforsp.
Watch the webinar here:
Read more like this:
If you liked this content, sign up to our newsletter for updates here.